Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sooo

I guess I lied about the whole weekly update business. Well I have a good reason; it was due to my OTHER New Year's resolution. Which is to complain less, and all the posts I had in my head sounded like me complaining. Anyhoo, I came across this neat quote by C.S Lewis it was from a sermon he gave in 1941!

If you asked twenty good men to-day what they thought the highest of the virtues, nineteen of them would reply, Unselfishness. But if you asked almost any of the great Christians of old he would have replied, Love. You see what has happened? A negative term has been substituted for a positive, and this is of more than philological importance. The negative ideal of Unselfishness carries with it the suggestion not primarily of securing good things for others, but of going without them ourselves, as if our abstinence and not their happiness was the important point.

And then he goes on to say….

If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly to hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing, I submit that this notion has crept in from Kant and the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith.

And my absolute favorite..

it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

The entire article can be found here. He uses a lot of big words but it’s quite an interesting read.

7 comments:

Jennifer A. said...

The last paragraph got to me...

On my fb status I have almost similar thoughts (about how people are afraid to get joy because they can't conquer sorrow). In the quote he talks about the offering of infinite joy to us but how we prefer to make mud pies instead...so true.

Tiera said...

wow the last paragraph is SO deep. The bible says you have not because you ask not, and i think we ask not because we are so easily satisfied and comforted by simple things. Hhmmmmm...

Also, I'm in a honors leadership class and have been trying to explain to my class and instructers why love should be the no.1 value. Glad to know I'm not the only one lol

olusimeon said...

hmm.. thanks for sharing..

Myne said...

I like the new template, very organized.

I love the write-up, CS Lewis is a powerful teacher. Thanks for the motivation.

Enkay said...

I absolutely adore C.S lewis. A profound man.

True, sometimes I don't think we trust God enough to become all he has called us to be.

We let fear hold us back and we're content to just hang back in the shadows.

Sad.

Original Mgbeke said...

Pretty interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing my dear. How study dey do na?

Myne said...

just came to check up on you. How are things?